The Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project
The Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project was a three year collaboration between the NSW Ministry of Health, the Aboriginal Health & Medical Research Council (AH&MRC), Cancer Institute NSW, and Cancer Council NSW.
The objectives of the Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project
- Improve the cancer health outcomes of Aboriginal people in NSW by raising awareness and increasing the capacity of Aboriginal communities to respond to cancer.
- Build the skills, knowledge and capacity of the Aboriginal health workforce in cancer care, and in turn improve the care of Aboriginal people with cancer.
- Build partnerships between mainstream services and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services to enhance the cultural capability of health professionals working in cancer care, improve service accessibility and partnerships.
- Reduce barriers experienced by Aboriginal people who need to access cancer care services.
Working collaboratively to deliver the Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project
The Cancer Institute NSW worked with a range of stakeholders to deliver the Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project and improve outcomes for Aboriginal people with cancer. These include:
Aboriginal Health and Medical Research Council contact Catherine Wood
Cancer Council NSW
NSW Ministry of Health
Waminda South Coast Women's Health and Welfare Aboriginal Corporation
Redfern Aboriginal Medical Service Cooperative
Albury Wodonga Aboriginal Health
Pius X Aboriginal Corporation
Maari Ma Health Aboriginal Corporation
The Aboriginal Cancer Partnership Project supported the delivery of a diverse range of activities across the cancer control continuum, supported by partnerships at state and local levels. Over 1,000 people have participated in the project, the majority of who are Aboriginal or work with Aboriginal communities. Key activities included:
- Community awareness raising workshops
- Community action workshops Health professional training
- Clinical placement programs for Aboriginal Health Workers
- Health Professional Support Networks
- Building partnerships between mainstream cancer services and Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services.
The project was completed in June 2015.
Please contact Jessica Delaney, Project Manager, Relationships and Change (02) 8374 3565.