Beach to Bush sponsorship case study
Beach to Bush is largest educational program ever undertaken by Surf Life Saving NSW.
Running since 1993, it educates children in regional NSW about beach and water safety. Past research has shown up to 50 per cent of people rescued from the surf lived more than 50km from the beach.
The Cancer Institute NSW supported the Beach to Bush program to help spread the message of sun safety to children across the state.
Surf Life Saving NSW
Beach to Bush
The Institute program area involved
The sponsorship connects with the Institute’s Screening and Prevention program, helping to promote skin cancer prevention activities among young people in NSW.
Through the NSW Skin Cancer Strategy, the Institute aims to further skin cancer prevention messages in primary and secondary school programs, and work with peak sports organisations to encourage sun protection.
Being involved in Beach to Bush provided benefits including:
- Promotional collateral having sun safety messages.
- Take home resources having sun safety messages.
- Beach to Bush website having sun safety messages.
- Media releases having sun safety messages and the Cancer Institute NSW logo.
- Cancer Institute NSW logo being included across major Surf Life Saving NSW corporate collateral.
- Cancer Institute NSW receivinng a professional sponsorship report, with key outcomes, media coverage, and photos and videos.
The Beach to Bush program gives young people living in rural NSW quality sun safety information and resources.
The program aligns closely with Goal 1 of the NSW Cancer Plan: Reduce the incidence of cancer. A focus area for this goal is to reduce exposure to UV radiation by engaging with the community and key stakeholders to develop, implement and evaluate comprehensive skin cancer prevention activities.
The program is an engaging, interactive presentation delivered by experienced and enthusiastic lifesavers.
Topics covered in the presentation include:
- General beach safety messages
- Skin cancer prevention strategies
- Rip and wave identification
- Sea creatures and first aid
- Rescues and getting help
- Safety in other aquatic environments (pools, creeks, waterholes.
Every student receives a take home surf safety activity booklet at the conclusion of the presentation.
Find out more about our next round of sponsorship applications.
Contact the Cancer Institute NSW to find out about sponsorship opportunities: